Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

Backdoor flowerbed

Ever since we moved here, I have been working on the existing flowerbeds. Most were just filled with hedges. They looked ok, but I like bloomy things and color. So we have gradually been pulling out the hedges. It's fun! Hubs backs the truck up to them, I wrap a chain around them and he takes off! Hedges gone!



The bug guy had told us we needed to get the level of the dirt below the foundation of the house so we could watch for termites. So I didn't want to plant in the ground in this area. So I did something alittle different.

I decided to put planters in this area. Planters have gotten expensive! So I hunted and hunted and foundsome at Garden Ridge 50% off. This area is full shade. I got the plants in Old Town Spring at a garden center I like there. Will do a bit more "twikage" but here's what I have so far:





I am pleased so far with the results. Just will add a few do-dads and stuff as time goes on.

The veggie garden goes along pretty good, though squash bit the dust. We have actually eaten a few tomatoes and some will be ready in a day or two


Banana peppers growing like crazy. Got 4 jars put up so far


Okra has been thinned and is coming on


landscaping brick for next project. It never ends.

10 comments:

  1. Nice looking veggies. I don't have enough sun in my gardens for veggies; but I do frequent the Farmer's Market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the look of those tomatoes and peppers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your backyard garden looks nice! I'm visiting from My Little Home and Garden facebook page. Hope you have a great day.

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carol,

    Your shade garden looks wonderful with those Caladiums! Small Hostas look nice in pots too. I'll pass on the peppers, but your tomatoes look juicy :-) Thank you so much for stopping to visit me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those large caladium leaves are so beautiful in your containers, and I love the large hanging fern! Wow--you have tomatoes already--that's fantastic. It will be a few weeks before we have them here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Carol you have been hard at it .. don't you just love how good it feels when you finish a project..
    Everything looks great. hugs, Cherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for visiting!!
    Looking forward to seeing what you will do with the brick....

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol, thanks for stopping by my corner of Katy! Doesn't it feel great to be rid of those boring hedges?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol, The veggies look great! I am looking forward to watching the transformation of your gardens; always a work in progress (at least mine are). Carol, you asked how old my garden is. Well in 2002 we removed the large above ground pool and deck that was where the cottage garden is now. In 2004 we tilled and began planting. It's pretty well-established by now. Thanks for stopping by!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note if you visit me, please. Thanks for stopping by!